paula-fin

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hokitika Food Festival - NZ in March 2007

Hi All,

A little belated, but here are some photos from the Hokitika Food Festival - held on New Zealand's West Coast every March. Bree and I met up with our cousin Briony, her husband Scott and their housmates for a great day of food/drink tasting topped off with an afternoon on the beach, a bonfire, a 'barn dance' in the festival grounds and a chilly night in our tents!

The festival included such delicacies as cow's udder, possum pie/drumsticks, mutton bird, crocodile, kangaroo, ostrich pie, grasshoppers, wine made out of flowers and huhu grubs...the list goes on.

Thanks Briony and Scott for a great weekend and for taking some great photos!

Scott in Hokitika

Briony, Bree and I enjoying some of NZ's finest wine and flavoured cider

Briony and Scott in front of the possum stall. Possums are a huge pest in NZ... and taste a little like rabbit!

Scott and Bree - I think they were trying fruit/gin shots?

Briony and I trying some 'Tasty Titties', i.e. cow's udder - it tasted like the fat off a chop!

Me and my Huhu grubs before....

...and after. The bits that I did manage to swallow tasted faintly of peanut butter - the rest I spat into the bin! Gross!
Scott trying to get the bonfire started

Briony and I enjoying a beautiful NZ sunset

Some choice NZ West Coast mullets

Scott with their NZ housemates at the barn dance - which featured Abba and Bee Gees tribute bands and, to keep it true-to-form, bales of hay!

Briony, Scott, Bree and I at the Barn dance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home